Are you passionate about social justice? Would you like to contribute to a national effort fighting poverty among older Americans—particularly women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and people with limited English proficiency? Justice in Aging is looking for a talented Communications Associate to join our team in our Oakland, CA office.
Your contributions will help ensure that the growing number of Americans aging into poverty are able to pay their rent, buy nutritious food, see their doctors, receive the help they need at home to live safely, and get the legal help they need.
Justice in Aging is a national nonprofit legal advocacy organization that fights senior poverty through law. Since 1972 we’ve worked to secure access to affordable health care and economic security for older adults with limited resources, focusing especially on populations that have traditionally lacked legal protection such as women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and people with limited English proficiency. We provide trainings to thousands of direct service advocates a year, file impact litigation, and advocate at the local, state, and national level for policies to improve the lives of the more than 7.1 million older adults living in poverty.
This is a new position on the Communications Team to increase our impact and grow our profile. The successful candidate will be an integral part of implementing our communications strategy over multiple platforms, and will report to the Communications Director. This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys an environment where there is structure and a clear direction, but room for creativity regarding how to get there. We are a collaborative team where your ideas will be heard and growth encouraged.
- Work with the Communications Director to implement robust social media and earned media strategies.
- Assist with digital communications efforts to maximize press coverage, drive media outreach, and build relationships with partners and grassroots advocates online.
- Assist in conducting proactive, strategic media outreach that will elevate the stories of low-income older Americans and prime the environment for social change.
- Work with the Digital Media Manager to design attorney-created publications, and create compelling visuals for use on social media and other channels.
- Ensure digital communications strategies are data-driven by tracking and reporting out on performance metrics.
- Maintain an up-to-date reporter database and assist the Communications Director in building relationships with individual reporters.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong written communication skills
- Visual design skills
- Experience using dominant social media channels strategically for advocacy
- Attention to detail and commitment to the highest quality work product
- Storytelling ability
- Ability and desire to work collaboratively as well as independently
- Bachelor’s degree
The position is full time, exempt with a competitive salary and benefits package including health, dental, and life insurance; flexible reimbursement plan; 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer contribution; personal days; three weeks paid vacation, plus paid holiday and sick time. Salary range is $45,000-$55,000 depending on skills and experience. We maintain a respectful, collegial work environment in which we strive to hear and elevate all voices within the organization.
Justice in Aging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to maintaining a diverse staff and we particularly encourage applications from members of racial and ethnic minority groups, women, the LGBTQ community, and others whose background may contribute to more effective representation of low-income people and underserved communities.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, a PDF of a short document you have designed, preferably using InDesign or comparable program, two examples of social media work product, and three professional references to Katrina Cohens at firstname.lastname@example.org In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered:
To promote social justice and best achieve our mission, Justice in Aging is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and creating an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal or professional experience or background has prepared you to contribute to a work environment with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion?
Position will remain open until filled. We will consider applications on a rolling basis.